Wednesday, January 30, 2008

firsts

yesterday was another first in the life of max. i am realizing we all have lots of firsts - not just when we are young. first kiss, first traffic ticket, first date, first disneyland experience, first child, first sushi, first dr. pepper on your lap, first whatever...you fill in the blank. there's always a first for everything. well, yesterday was max's first cavity. i know, i know - what kind of mother has a child who has a cavity at age 4? well, on this one i'm blaming mike's bad teeth genes. no really, i'm probably a slacker of a mom and fail to help max brush his teeth as regularly as i should. i always figure he'd be lucky, like me, and not have cavities...at least not until age 30, but that's another story of firsts for me. anyway, he was the bravest little dental patient you have ever seen. i talked to him about what to expect when we went and told him that i would hold his hand if he was scared. in true max form he looked at me and said, "i won't be scared. i'm never scared." ok. that was that. i was still going to be right there, just in case. (to tell you the truth, it was probably me that needed a hand to hold, not him!) he climbed up into that chair and the dental assistant turned the tv in the ceiling to the disney channel, put the earphones on max and he was set. i sat there and watched them numb his lip, give him a shot, drill, drill, drill, squirt, suck, pick, scrape, etc...all the lovely sounds at the dentist. he didn't even flinch! in fact, i'm not sure he even blinked. he was so brave and sat so still. the dentist was quite impressed. so here's one of max showing off his cheesy cavity-free (for now) smile. although it wasn't fun for me, i'm a beaming proud mamma of this extra brave boy!

5 comments:

Nana Sue said...

Oh my sweet Max!! What a brave boy and what a GREAT smile, it tells it all!! I'm glad he is so brave, I beg my dentist to put me totally out for a small cavity, I'm a chicken, hooray for Max!!!
Hugs!

linds said...

tell max nice work, doug still cries like a baby when he knows he needs to go get one on his many cavities filled...dougs are not from lack of brushing, its from the soda of the devil.

ermakaluso said...

We told the girls about this and they brushed forever. I guess I should go to the dentist and see what our luck gives us. Neither Eric or I have any, so I'm crossing my fingers that my girls have our luck!

janetha. said...

that is the greatest smile ever, max is a brave one! i HATE shots in my mouth!

Sid said...

Oh- Max. If only i could have your bravery, I am like a scared little girl every time i think about getting a cavity filled. If only i could suck it up!