Friday, January 18, 2008

no need for tv - we have scrabble!


i read an article in the ensign this month about family who moved into a new home and couldn't find the cords in the attic to hook up their cable tv. it talked about how they were able to spend time as a family, finish those unfinished projects, read and play together, etc. the list went on and on. at our house, we often find ourselves wasting time on the couch in the evenings, trying to unwind from our busy days. not anymore. we have rediscovered scrabble. so, after the kids are in bed, mike and i pull out scrabble. our games can get pretty intense, and some fun words are played. best of all, we are spending time together...something that is becoming scarce these days. time, that is. it's a fun time to laugh and think together. granted, i'm not always laughing when mike steals my spot. i am sure he can read my mind. so if you find yourself wanting more than just another boring night with the tv...pull out a game. it may surprise you how much fun you can have.

6 comments:

linds said...

your lucky mike will play games with you. if i suggested that doug would laugh at me. i admire that you guys hang out and talk in the evenings. lately doug and i totally do our own things, if we are both home that is. thanks for the reminder of what is really important.

Nana Sue said...

Scrabble ROCKS!! Spending time doing stuff with your partner rocks too!! Hugs!

Sid said...

Oh boy- I don't know if i could get tony to play a game with me, it would probably kill him. you know how much he loves games! He's such a party pooper, instead we watch american idol!

ermakaluso said...

Wow, those are some crazy words! I can get Eric to play Phase 10, but no word games! I only get my fill of those when you, mom or neef are around.

janetha. said...

oh well marisa that explains why i always beat you :) hahaha jokes. um i love scrabble, boggle even more so. scrabble sometimes is too slow paced because all of my roomies play, so boggle is always my first choice. lucky for me, marshall tracked down a set of "big boggle" on amazon and bought it for me for xmas! im converting my friends one round at a time...but they always are bummed out because i usually triple their score. woohoo for games, they are waaay better than tv. i hate tv!

Anonymous said...

Just for the record when playing scrabble you must let your partner win sometimes. But I did win by an impressive 75 points or so. Just the other night. And for the record I can't read suni's mind or i would being writing a book new york times best seller if i could:)